Your Time Away
Leaves of Absence
Initiate a Leave
Review the Your Connection page on Connect for full details on the types of leave available to you and the process to get started with initiating a leave.
Family Medical Leave (FMLA) Direct Link
FMLA provides up to 12 weeks of leave, or 26 weeks for military caregiver leave, while restoring you to the same or equivalent position and continuing your premium sharing. In order to receive FMLA, you must be employed for at least 12 months by Crown Castle. You must also have worked at least 1,250 hours during the year before the beginning of your leave.
To use FMLA you must meet one of the following conditions:
- A serious health condition
- The birth and care of your child or a child for whom you stand in loco parentis (provide day to day responsibilities to care for or financially support a child)
- Adopting a child or having a certified foster child placed in your care or a child for whom you stand in loco parentis (provide day to day responsibilities to care for or financially support a child)
- Care of your spouse, child, (including biological, adopted, foster, and step-children and legal wards or children for whom you stand in loco parentis) or parent who has a serious health condition.
- “Qualifying exigency” due to the fact that your spouse, son, daughter (including biological, adopted, foster, and step-children and legal wards or children for whom you stand in loco parentis), or parent is on military active duty or has been notified of an impending call to military active duty.
- “Military caregiver leave”- care of your spouse, son, daughter, (including biological, adopted, foster, and step-children and legal wards or children for whom you stand in loco parentis), parent or next of kin who is a covered military service member who's recovering from serious illness or injury sustained during active duty.
You may use up to 12 weeks, or 26 weeks for military related FMLA a year depending on the situation and the documentation you provide.
Short-term Disability, New Parent Leave and PTO, if available, may provide individuals on FMLA with compensation during their time away or the FMLA time may be unpaid.
Click here for more information on filing a claim with our leave administrator, Prudential.
Personal Leave Direct Link
At times, individuals may not be eligible for FMLA due to length of employment or personal situation involved. Except in the case of pregnancy, eligible teammates must complete at least 6 months of continuous service. Personal Leave is granted solely at the manager's discretion. When a teammate returns from Personal Leave, efforts will be made to return the teammate to the same or similar position. However, Crown Castle cannot guarantee that a position will be available upon a teammate's return. Contact Your Connection at YourConnection@crowncastle.com or 713-570-5200 for assistance in requesting a Personal Leave.
Military Leave Direct Link
Crown Castle is proud to have veterans and active military personnel among our teammates and appreciates the sacrifice and service given by these teammates and their families. Crown Castle provides teammates time away from work in order to serve in the military consistent with the Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Rights Act (USERRA), as well as applicable state and local laws.
Advance notice of leave is required, preferably in writing, unless giving of notice is impossible or unreasonable, or notice is prohibited by military necessity (which is defined by the United States Department of Defense). When notice is required, teammates must provide Your Connection and their supervisor with as much advance notice as possible of any anticipated leave of absence for military service. Teammate must also submit their request for Military Leave through the Time Management portal in UKG.
For the first 120 days of leave under this policy, Crown Castle will provide paid leave at 100% of the teammate’s salary. After 120 days, teammates will be provided with unpaid leave. While on unpaid leave, PTO may be used at the teammate’s request in accordance with Crown Castle’s PTO policy.
For the first 120 days of leave under this policy, teammates are entitled to a continuation of their medical, dental, and other benefits; however, teammates are responsible for making their contribution in the amount they were paying at the time leave began. Premium payments would continue to be deducted from your Crown Castle paycheck for the duration of paid leave, and usage of PTO if applicable. After 120 days have elapsed and the teammate is still on military leave, the teammate may elect to continue their health plan coverage at their own expense for up to 34 months or during the remaining period of service, whichever is shorter.
Review the Military Leave Policy on the company intranet for additional information.
To initiate a Leave or for related questions, contact YourConnection@crowncastle.com.